dinsdag 24 augustus 2010

Ringed me round

Ik ben net terug van tien dagen Schotland. Omdat ik nog steeds wat o-tistisch ben, hebben we ons beperkt tot The Isle of Skye - een ruig eiland dat omgeven wordt door een cirkel, een ring van helder water. Daar las ik het boek van Gavin Maxwell, die daar samen met zijn otters in een verlaten baai woonde en schreef.
In zijn gedicht ' A ring of bright water' beschrijft hij voor mij het ultieme o-gevoel.

He has married me with a ring, a ring of bright water
Whose ripples travel from the heart of the sea,
He has married me with a ring of light, the glitter
Broadcast on the swift river.
He has married me with the sun's circle
Too dazzling to see, traced in the summer sky.
He has crowned me with the wreath of white cloud
That gathers on the snowy summit of the mountain,
Ringed me round with the world-circling wind,
Bound me tot the whirlwind's centre.
He has married me with the orbit of the moon
And with the boundless circle of the stars,
With the orbits that measure years, months, days, and nights,
Set the tides flowing,
Command the winds to travel or to be at rest.

At the ring's centre,
Spirit, or angel troubling the still pool,
Causality not in nature,
Finger's touch that summons at a point, a moment
Stars and planets, life and light
Or gathers cloud about an apex of cold,
Transcendent touch of love summons my world to being.

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten